Faced with the challenge of expanding the Airesur Shopping Centre in Castilleja de la Cuesta, Sevilla, the LAR Group decided to commission Vectio to conduct a sustainable mobility and transport assessment.
The aim was both to find out the flow of traffic of the area surrounding the shopping centre and the mobility that would be generated by the proposed extension of Airesur, as well as to diagnose whether it has ample capacity to cater for the roads and different transport systems, analysing the existing accesses and proposing the modifications needed to ensure optimal access to the commercial area.
To conduct this assessment, the following works were carried out:
- Installation of different traffic counts (pneumatic technology, radar and artificial vision cameras) in different junctions, trunk roads and roundabouts
- Vehicle count at junctions with artificial vision software from on-site footage, to find out how the flows are distributed
- Assessment of allocation of future traffic rates according to the four-step transport modelling method
- Analysis of the level of service of the surrounding roads
- Assessment of the surrounding roundabouts based on micro-modelling techniques